USAF Security Service patch circa 1960
The USAF Security Service was established on 20 October 1948 at Arlington Hall Station, Virginia.
HQ USAFSS moved to newly constructed HQ building 2000 the 1st week of August 1953.
The USAFSS Command Emblem symbolizes the command mission.
It consists of a shield divided equally into quarters by a vertical and horizontal line and identifying scroll.
Significant of the command's worldwide influence, the first quarter is blue, thereon a green sphere with yellow land markings.
Pertinent to transmission, the second quarter is red, thereon a yellow lightning streak.
Significant of the United States Air Force, the third quarter is yellow, thereon a blue half wing.
Symbolic of protection and security, the fourth quarter is blue, thereon over a sword with point to base
(hilt and pommel yellow), a white shield, thereon a yellow flame shaded red.
The emblem design by A2C William Rogers and was approved by Headquarters USAF in August 1952.
1979 - Electronic Security Command Emblem
When USAFSS was renamed the Electronic Security Command (ESC) in August 1979,
the command motto, "Freedom Through Vigilance", was retired and was not replaced.
A contest that began 12/23/86 to select a motto ended 6/3/87 with the announcement
that, once again, "Freedom Through Vigilance," a motto that had a proud heritage
and special meaning for the Command, would be the command motto.